Friday, July 27, 2012

"Zentangle Untangled"


Sure, I have done a lot of doodling in my journals.  My favorite technique lately has been incorporating what I like to call "Zen Dots'  into my journals, as shown on this journal spread I did a few days ago.  I have tried many variations of Zentangling and done quite a few into my journals.  Zentangling is so very meditative.


Which now brings me to the true purpose of this post.  Awhile back Kass Hall asked me if I’d be interested in  reviewing her upcoming book “Zentangle Untangled” and join in on the blog hop. I agreed, but was not prepared for the absolutely breathtaking book that later came my way.  I was floored by what I have seen in this book. I have seen a several books on Zentangling, but Kass has a fresh approach and has certainly taken doodling and Zentangles to a whole new level.


This book not only includes very clear and easy to understand directions for getting started, but also how to incorporate Zentangling into other work.  In this book Kass covers everything from the history of Zentangling, some basic color theory, materials,  how to include color into Zentangles and Art Journaling, to name a few. There are just so many options to explore. The photos are crisp and colorful and the directions clearly written and easy to understand. 


And now I'd like to share some of my work including doodling and Zentangling. Above is a photo of my first introduction to Zentangling.  These are Artist Trading Cards I made on the official Zentangle tiles. This is when I realized I had to do more.  In fact if you scroll down you'll see several other examples of how I have been incorporating Zentangles into my journals since.

 A journaled Zentangle page

A 3-D Zentangle page

 Zen dots

A shaped journal page with a Zentangle flair

A Zentangled Octopus

Zentangled Mandala with wire beaded edge


Please join us for the "Zentangle Untangled" Blog Hop
Some of these blogs will be hosting giveaways, but all will be including their take on Zentangling.  What a variety!  Be sure to check them all out!

Monday July 23 – START – Kass Hall
Tuesday July 24 – Jill Berry
Wednesday July 25 – Rachel Grieg
Thursday July 26 – Sandra Strait
Friday July 27 – Melanie Testa
Saturday July 28 – Ingrid Dijkers - You are here!
Monday July 30 – Pam Garrison
Tuesday July 31 – Genevieve Crabe
Wednesday August 1 - Traci Bautista
Thursday August 2 – Fran Meneley
Friday August 3 – Jane Davenport
Saturday August 4 – FINISH – Kass Hall (major prize giveaway)

27 comments:

Sandra Strait said...

Very thoughtful review and fantastic artwork!

Anonymous said...

I love what you have done with Zentangle and your journals. beautiful work as always. I haven't gotten her book yet, but am looking forward to it!

kass hall said...

Ingrid, what a brilliant stop on this virtual tour! I knew when I asked you to join you'd bring something brilliant to the tour and you have not let me down!! Sublime artwork, VERY kind words about my book - thank you SO MUCH.

Vicky said...

Oh Indrid, I'm so glad I made the time to have a look through the list of bloggers in this great blog hop, I'm loving each & every project you have in your blog!!! I will have to come back & spend some more time being inspired by your beautiful works of art...thank you for sharing your review of Kass' new book, & for your creativity :)

Rosie said...

I love zentangling too, and like the sound of that book .... might put it on my birthday wishlist if you recommend it. I always love your pages, your whole style in fact, and wish I was brave enough to attempt the sort of 3D work you do! Come and teach in the UK .... pretty please. I've got a hall, we've got beds, you know you want to.

Susan said...

Love your review and your artwork! I have lingered over every image. Thank you so much for sharing your talent. This book is a must have, especially if it can inspire so many talented people.

Sue Brailey

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Enjoyed your take on the book. This has been so fun reading everyone's thoughts on this new and exciting book by Kass. Your journal pages are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Zentangle Untangled.

Genevieve said...

Ingrid, I love your artwork. It's always fun to see a new twist on Zentangle.

SAMARA said...

Oh ingrid, i love your style of Zentangle. it is something i have been very much into for a long time with maria and rick. so i love to see other versions of it. tangledpatterns is another rich version. i am definately going to look seriously at this book. it also looks rich in flavour. your tangles are gorgeous! i love the shapes they come with. And ingrid, i bought your recommendations yesterday (uniball, krylong etc.) by far the best recommendations i have received to date. you hit it right on the nail. thank you for hanging in with my questions. bless you for not getting fet up with my inquiries. you are kind and patient! Smiles of Joy, Samara

Carin Winkelman said...

I love how you've made the zentangle thing your own. Beautiful work!

TinaW said...

Wow! Very beautiful work!

bohemiannie! art said...

These are some of the MOST beautiful zentangles I've ever seen.

Sue Jones said...

I love your zen dots. What a great idea to try.

Anonymous said...

I love your style Ingrid. The Zen dots are great and so different.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a fantastic web site. On what other blog could anyone get this kind of information written in such an insightful way? I have a presentation that I am just now working on, and I have been looking for such info.

Christina said...

Wow - amazing work! Such different ideas! L.O.V.E. the Zentangled Octopus! Thanks for sharing :-)

Unknown said...

Beautiful page as usual!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful page as usual!!!

Tanya said...

Ingrid I love your style....you take this to a new level its so amazing. Its like you are taking it in every direction you possibly can. Thank you. I will be looking around your blog as well, it looks great.

Tanya said...

its beautiful thank you for your stunning work and I just love your changing and different views and cannot wait to explore your site some more

Tarnished Rose said...

Amazing art! I'm in awe.

Smiles~
Marilyn

Deb (Two Cheeky Monkeys) said...

Your zentangling is amazing and inspiring! Thanks for your review of Kass's exciting new book. :)

Anonymous said...

Your journal zenDots really set off the art of as in Kass Hall's book. This blog hop has been a lot of fun getting to see all the different intrepretations and inspiration of other talented artists besides me.
VT in Texas
vtippenv@netscape.net

Anoeska said...

I just LOVE your tangles!

Tracy said...

Oh my! I am in awe of your beautiful journals and tangles Ingrid. What beautiful work! I am still waiting for my book to be delivered and simply cannot wait to get it!

Tracy said...

Oh my! I am in awe of your beautiful journals and tangles Ingrid. What beautiful work! I am still waiting for my book to be delivered and simply cannot wait to get it!

Anonymous said...

Hello Ingrid!
My name is Sophie and I am running a craft blog! I'm hoping to do a post on Zentangles. I love your pictures and ideas and was hoping that I could use some of your Zentangle pictures on my blog. I would give you full credit and also a link to your original picture! If you could please leave me a reply at www.craftingwithcolor.blogspot.com I would appreciate it very much. Thank you in advance! -Sophie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...